Tue 08 Sep 2009
A Word about 10.6.1 - FTP
Category : Technology/10dot6dot1.txt
I've updated both my MacBook Pro and my live server, a new iMac, to the developer's release of 10.6.1. While the mail, web and dns functions continue to work, FTP didn't and I wasn't able to update my site from my MBP.
So that was a pain (literally) as I'm down with chickenpox (at my age!) and I need to hide in my room so as not infect my wife (who isn't sure whether she's got it before) and my kid (who so looked forward to this one-week holiday that it'll pain me to have to spoil it all for him if he comes down with it, too).
So after having tried everything, I downgraded my MBP back to 10.6. Guess what? FTP works again. I can make it FTP to itself. So, this lunch time, while my wife and kid were away, I went into our shared work-room and down-graded the live server back to 10.6.
Now I can FTP to the server from my private jail (room), and think about how I can make revisions to this site (One of the things I really want to do is to update the pictures - my kid's a lot bigger now than he was in the picture on the right).
Posted at 12:33PM UTC | permalink
The Snow Apps get their first revision
Category : Technology/SnowAppsRevision1.txt
I've made a few tweaks to the Snow Leopard apps and bumped up their versions by one point release. MailServe Snow becomes 4.1.1, DNS Enabler Snow 4.0.1 and WebMon Snow 4.0.1.
I had also built them using the new Clang compiler on Xcode, which is supposed to produce faster, more optmized code. There's also a new Static Analyzer in Xcode and running it, I caught one non-obvious memory leak in the apps that in all honesty I would never have spotted on my own.
So the platform is in a healthy state and there's much to look forward to, coding for the Mac. And iPhone.
But for now, I'm still watching these three apps and trying to finish the BIND Views feature for DNS Enabler.
Then I need to get Maven and Luca really updated for Snow Leopard. Right now, they're not truly Snow Leopard applications. The ones I've released were compiled on a Leopard machine with the version check removed. But once you set them up to use the Snow Leopard API, you get a huge number of errors for everything. So I can't even get them built. It'll take me some time to pick my way through these.
So, it's not easy to build a Snow Leopard application. Lots of work still to come.
Posted at 12:11PM UTC | permalink