The Ultimate Business Machine - Archives
List of Categories : Database * Technology * Commentary * Singapore * Travel *
Thu 17 Jun 2010
Liya's Multi-Lingual Support
Category : Technology/LiyaMultiLingualSupport.txt
I remembered, a couple of days ago, that a design objective for the database frameworks we've been building has been to support data entry and search in any language - Chinese, Japanese, Thai, whatever, so that, e.g., for the case of an insurance system used in Thailand, motor policies can be recorded with their underwriting terms written in Thai, and the system will all just work.
But I realised that I hadn't tested this notion in quite a while. So we put Liya to the test and found that it already supported input in multiple languages for PostgreSQL, but not for MySQL. Debugging this, we found that we only had to fix a couple of lines of code, and Liya (connected to MySQL) can do entry and searches in Chinese, say, as shown below :
And, since these fixes were at the database frameworks level, Maven automatically gets multi-lingual support, and Luca too.
Shows the importance of good design. Instead of adjusting two lines of code to get something so enormously useful, we would have had to comb through any number of programs, at any number of levels, simply for a lack of foresight and discipline in coding.
So, Liya 1.0.1 with multi-lingual support has been submitted to the App Store. It'll probably be available for download in a week (well, I just submit it & forget it, the App Store way).
Posted at 9:24AM UTC | permalink